Old Brewery House Overview
A secret hideaway, yet within minutes of some of the Cotswolds most delightful towns and attractions Old Brewery House lends itself perfectly to StayCotswold.
Set over three floors this fabulous four bedroom family home has been completely rennovated during 2011 to make the very best of the large spaces and original features found in this unique property. The setting and architecture of Old Brewery House and the buildings that surround it are quintessentially Cotswolds and utterly idyllic. Its location is unique, being right in the heart of Donnington Brewery, whose buildings date back as far as the 12th Century. In 1827 it was bought by Thomas Arkell, whose descendant Richard Arkell started a Brewery here in 1865. It remains a working brewery today and although running full time, has very little impact on the house or its occupants. Donnington Brewery is not open to the public and access to the brewery buildings is understandably prohibited. Beer, however, is available, should you desire it and you'll find links to chocolate box pretty Cotswolds inns that are supplied by Donnington Brewery in Local Knowledge.
Across the ground floor, there are large rooms for open plan living and entertaining.
- The enormous kitchen is a cook's delight as it is fully fitted with all the conveniences and extras that make catering a joy.
- The dining end of the kitchen accommodates a large table for 10 people.
- The main living room is the heart of the house - a supremely comfortable place to be. Enjoy the views across the lake, or relax in comfort, play a board game, read a good book or watch a good film on the 42" plasma TV with DVD player.
- The second sitting room is a more intimate space and can be closed off from the rest of house - an ideal place to give over to the children perhaps! One of the three sofas can be converted into a double bed for additional guests.
- In the quirky sunroom, there is a challenge for our guests - you'll have to stay to find out what it is!
- The lower ground floor utility area has access both from the gardens oustide and from the main house. With stone floors, butlers sink, washing machine, dryer and drying room, it is the perfect place to wash down after a long walk.
- Massive windows overlook the private gardens - you often find the resident peacocks peering in to see what's going on!
Upstairs you will find four huge, superbly appointed bedrooms. Each is furnished with zip and link beds that make up either one super king sized or two full sized single beds. Original period features have been kept during the restoration of this fabulous house and each bedroom has been furnished to compliment the overall aesthetic.
Each of the four bedrooms - the Garden Room, the Lake Room, the Green Room, and the Attic Room - has a bathroom en-suite and plenty of space in which to enjoy the views of the stunning landscaped gardens that surround Old Brewery House.
Finally, a young Claude Arkell, who was instrumental in the continued success of Donnington Brewery, and another guest of the house, etched their signatures on the window glass in two of the bedrooms and they have been retained by the Arkell family as historical memoirs. Today, however, we would encourage you to leave your own signatures in the visitors' book downstairs!
The history of Donnington Brewery is well documented by the Arkell family archivists and makes for fascinating reading. For further information about this delightful Cotswolds company please click here. You can find out about the fifteen Donnington Brewery pubs that are within easy reach, either by car, public transport or via the 63 mile Donnington Way that links all the pubs in a circular path, taking in many of the most beautiful parts of the Cotswolds.